Menopause

Possible Menopause but Discomfort

09/02/2010

Question:

I am unsure but believe I am going through menopause, when I was young I had a etopical pregnancy and have only one side that functions. I always had endometriosis also so regularity was rare. I am experiencing significant weight gain and the normal tender breast and cramping but instead of a few days before it will start almost a week to two before which is making me uncomfortable and miserable. I thought the weight gain was due to too much coffee so I cut back other symptoms are hot flashes and one leg that has severe pain. after my period this all subsides and then begins again about two weeks later. Is there anything short of going on medication I can do to help relieve this and bring my weight down. I am never very hiungry so I know it is not overeating. I also have COPD and take medication for this hwoever not any steriods.

Answer:

Your issues are complicated. I am not sure of your age, but it sounds like there are several issues that need to be addressed by your physician. They do not sound like menopausal symptoms. 

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Cynthia B Evans, MD Cynthia B Evans, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology