Gynecology

Multiple intramural fibroids

09/28/2010

Question:

I am 26 years old, have conceived(6 weeks) .My ULTRASOUND report says"UTERUS : Anteverted.Measures 110x67 mm,bulky in size. E/o a single hestational sac of MSD 1.51cm with a secondary yolk sac noted at fundal aspect of endometrium.Sac is regular.fetal node not yet demonstrated. E/o multiple(4-5) intramural fibroids noted.largest meas 55x81mm noted in the posterior myometrium at fundal region.Now I want to terminate my pregnancy .My questions are as follows:1.Is it riskier to terminate my pregnancy ? 2.If I go for termination what will be the future consequences 3.But i want to conceive after 1 or 2 years, is it possible to conceive once again?My doctors are telling "Termination of pregnancy is possible but it`s difficult to to conceive in future" is it true ? please clarify me in detail. Thanks for your help in advance.

Answer:

You have uterine fibroids or leiomyoma. Many women have these. How they effect pregnancy depends upon their location and size. They tend to get larger over time. Pregnancy termination done in the first trimester is a safe medical procedure. Like all surgeries, however, there is the potential for complications. If complications, like an infection, occur then this could effect your ability to get pregnant in the future. However, most women have no problems with pregnancy after having had an abortion.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology