Hemochromatosis

Do I Need Treatment?

09/21/2010

Question:

My father dies of Hemochromatosis at 64. Two of his cousins (both male) were diagnosed shorlty after and are being treated. I have had symptoms for about 1 1/2 yrs. I do not have all blood test results but the rheumatologist that diagnosed it said saturation was 57% and total iron was on high side. I have on each of C282 and H63D - heterozygote - C reactive protein was slightly high (3.6) and BUN was slightly low. She sent me to a hemotologist who almost laughed saying there is nothing wrong with me and my symptoms were totally unrelated. I have arthritis in my hand and hips. I also have severe scoliosis and have a full spinal fusion. Maybe symptoms ARE unrelated but I would like your opinion. I am female, 44, still menstruating. Thank you for your help as I am struggling with this.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness.  Checking a ferritin level will be very helpful in helping you and your hematologist determine whether or not treatment is indicated. 

Ferritin

Go to the Hemochromatosis health topic, where you can:

Mark   Wurster, MD Mark Wurster, MD
Former Clinical Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine