Athletic Training

Tendonitis in Ankle, Quick Pain Relief?

11/09/2010

Question:

I have pretty bad tendonitis in my ankle and my state volleyball tournament is next week. I have been devotedly icing, heating, resting, and using compression for the past two days, but I am still in quite a bit of pain. Do you know of any quick pain relieving things that I could do that might help?

Answer:

I am sorry to hear of your ongoing issues in your ankle with the state tournament coming up. It sounds as though you are doing all the right things from an icing, heating, and rest perspective. You did not specify the location of your tendonitis, which could have an impact as well.

I would suggest a visit to your local sports medicine provider for further evaluation. A sports medicine provider can help to determine if there are other treatment options and help with your pain on the short term. Good Luck to your team in the state tournament!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences