Exercise and Fitness

Exercise Advice Needed

02/24/2011

Question:

Hi there,

I am a 47 year old female and am trying to lose weight as I am very obese and need to lose this weight so that I can have surgery. I have gone through 3 surgerys in the past 18 months and now have a colostomy and a large hernia in my stomach.

The plan is that I will be able to have the colostomy reversed and hernia repaired once I lose 50 pounds. I have already lost 20 pounds of that since October but I don`t feel like it`s coming off fast enough.

I am doing at least 30 minutes of cardio exercise daily and have cut my food intake back to 1500 calories a day. I am trying to get some of the fat off my stomach but am limited as to what I can do because of the hernia and colostomy. What I`m looking for is some suggestions of what additional I can do to help me lose weight but more importantly help me lose some of the fat off my stomach.

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated

Answer:

Based on the information you have provided, it seems that you are losing approximately one pound per week, which is well within the healthy range of .5 – 2lbs per week. Without knowing more information, I can’t directly address your caloric needs but I am going to assume that your physician or a Registered Dietitian (if you don’t have one, I highly recommend seeing one) assigned that calorie budget to you and it is correct. So the remainder of my email will solely address your weight loss from a fitness standpoint, rather than the nutrition standpoint. If you are currently doing 30 minutes of cardio/day and feel like your weight loss is at a plateau, here are a few suggestions to shock your body back into weight-loss mode and get the most out of your fitness routine:

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Brandi  Hester Janowiecki, BSc Brandi Hester Janowiecki, BSc
Coordinator Fitness and Wellness
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley