Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Burst Vein

02/18/2011

Question:

In the past couple of years, I have a more than a few veins burst spontaniously(without trauma) in my legs and hands. It always stings and burns for a few minutes & then leaves bruising afterwards. No one in my family has any history of this & I am not taking any time of medication, nor do I have any (known) medical conditions. I do have a few vericose veins near my ankles, but that`s it. Has anyone else had this problem? I don`t know why this happens & I`m scared one of these veins could burst in my head, heart, or lungs. Is there any type of vitamin I could take to strengthen my veins/arteries?

Answer:

It is not possible to make a diagnosis over a forum such as this, but I would encourage you to see your physician to try and learn why this may be happening. While this symptom doesn't point to anything specific, connective tissue type disorder that can affect the strength of the vessels should be considered. Without knowing what the cause may be, it is hard to recommend any supplements or other treatments. 

Again, though, I would encourage you to see your physician.  

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine