Frothy Thick Saliva

04/06/2011

Question:

My dentist told me I had bubbles in my saliva and that it could be medications I`m taking; the problem is that I`ve had this type of saliva since my teens on no meds. Sometimes it wakes me up at night choking me and I have to bring it up and spit it out. It`s very stringy and even hard to spit out.

Answer:

I do not think bubbles in your saliva is a sign of pathology.  If your saliva is too thick and stringy, this may be due to not drinking enough fluids.  There are some medical conditions associated with dry mouth, which will lead to thick, stringy saliva, but more commonly this is related to a side effect of medication.  I would consult your family doctor.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy