Asthma

Asthma-Like Symptoms but Not Asthma

04/28/2011

Question:

I was diagnosed with Asthma three years ago. Have had seveal trips to the emergancy room and hospital stays annually. None of my asthma medicines worked from Asmanex to Advair to liquid inhalants (Pulimcort/Proformist). All my lung function tests are excellent, yet I still have shortness of breath, some coughing, and no wheezing. Finally took the asthma test and I don`t have asthma! I have been to a Pulmonary doctor for heart tests, all normal. I have an asthma and allergy doctor, and an interventary pulmonary doctor. I was taken off all asthma meds except singulair. Currently have a VQ scan scheduled. Is there anything else I can do?

Answer:

There are other conditions in the differential diagnosis of asthma that might need to be investigated including vocal cord dysfunction, gastroesophageal reflux, cardiac problems, upper respiratory problems (i.e., sinusitis, non-allergic rhinitis) and anxiety.  All of these issues should be addressed in the diagnosis of your condition.

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

Jonathan   Bernstein, MD Jonathan Bernstein, MD