What are Suspicious Densities in Apices?

07/28/2011

Question:

For the past three years I have had severe respiratory infections and each time the chest x-ray returns with suspicious densities in both apices and request a second view which invariably comes back with plureal apical thickening bilateral. I have had several recurrent infections this year and have a cough that has lasted for 7 months which is worsening since this last infection two months ago. I do have CAD, Atherosclerotic Aortic Valve with aortic insufficiency and MVPS with mild reguritation. So far the lung diagnosis has been related to aging by the heart doctor, but since the cough is worse, should I see a pulmonist to rule out anything serious going on in the lungs. I have been experiencing shortness of breath and sometimes am unable to finish a sentence without being completely out of breath. My voice is rasphy and weak as well and worsens during the day and evening. Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Answer:

Yes, it would be a good idea to see a pulmonologist to rule out anything serious going on in your lungs.

Best wishes.

Jeff E Weiland, MD Jeff E Weiland, MD
Associate Professor - Clinical
OSU Asthma Center