Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Is this Cause for Concern?

09/20/2011

Question:

Had a recent CBC and hemoglobin was 129 g/L with hematocrit at .40.I am a 62 year old male and wonder if I should be concerned with these readings? If so are they very high or very low? Doctor who reviewed report seemed unconcerned. Doctor said the red count and white count was normal. I see many different normal numbers on the web and am very confused with these two readings. Thank you

Answer:

It is difficult to say very much without knowing the normal values for the lab in which your blood was drawn in. The normal values will also vary with age and sex, so what you show in your message could be normal or abnormal.

I would encourage you to talk to your doctor about the results to determine if they are abnormal, and if so why they may be abnormal. It is really not possible to do much more over a forum such as this for specific questions about your individual case.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine