Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Lung diseases

Second Opinon



I have a sister-in-law that is 49 years old, smoker, and is having pain in her right lung area.The ER said she had a mass in her lung. She went to her doctor and they did a CT scan. they can back saying it was calified. What will they do or can they do anything for this, does she need to see a specialist for this problem?

Thank You,


Thank you for visiting NetWellness and for your question. I cannot comment specifically on the situation with your sister-in-law since that insight requires a treating physician who has reviewed the entire case and CT scan.

The reasons for pain in the right side of the chest are many. A mass in the lung is defined as an abnormal area that is greater than 3 cm. A nodule is an abnormal area that is less than 3 cm.

A nodule or a mass can have calcium form in the tissue. When calcium forms in the abnormality, it is often a sign of a benign (not cancer) condition but it depends on the appearance.

If a lesion is completely calcified then we can say it is benign and no further evaluation is needed. If a lesion is only partially calcified then we have to take other factors into consideration.

Also, lung nodules do not generally cause pain. A pulmonary specialist could help answer these questions.

For more information:

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Michael E Ezzie, MD Michael E Ezzie, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University