Root Canals

Swollen Upper Lip - 4 Days Post-Procedure

12/08/2011

Question:

I had a root canal performed on #10 last week and ended up in the ER for IV CLindamycin which did help. Three days after the root canal, the swelling in my face and upper lip was so bad, I went to an oral surgeon where he lanced my upper tissue to drain more infection. I am still on oral Clindamycin. Now my upper lip especially the left side of it, is so swollen and puffy that my lip has cracked from the swelling. Anything to relieve this? I have tried ice to the cheek and lip, heat to the cheek and lip and drinking lots of fluids. Four days later, I look worse than the day of the root canal, although my pain is much less.

Answer:

I am sorry to hear you have been having these problems. Unfortunately, swelling after a root canal can happen a certain percentage of the time and is an unfortunate but common situation. It sounds like you have been receiving appropriate care. The swelling should be subsiding soon. You are doing most of the things I would recommend. My only change would be avoiding any heat application in any swollen areas and sticking with the ice application. I hope you feel better soon.

Go to the Root Canals health topic, where you can:

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics