One Side of Pallet Burning - - Why?

12/28/2011

Question:

Hi. The roof of my mouth on the left side is burning very badly. I am also experiencing sinus pain/pressure, and a fever. What is causing the burning and is there anything I can do to make it stop?

Answer:

The most likely cause of a localized pain on the roof of the mouth is a trauma injury such as a scrape or a burn. The most common source of a burn is reheating food with a microwave and not waiting until it has cooled a little bit. Some foods heat more quickly than others. the most common example is reheating pizza. The cheese reheats much more quickly than the rest of the pizza. When you pick up the pizza, it does not feel that hot but the cheese is hot enough to burn the part of the mouth it contacts, usually the roof of the mouth. 

If this is the case, it should heal in 7 - 10 days. If it is not, see your dentist to get an accurate diagnosis. The other symptoms may be unrelated to the roof of your mouth. Your dentist can tell you if you need to visit a physician.

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry